Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cuarenta Dias (Forty Days)

Today is the first day of Lent. If you're not Catholic, read about it here. Typically, I would give something up like sweets or sodas, but this year I have decided to take something on.

I have decided to start watching Spanish Novelas aka Spanish Soap Operas.

Odd, I know. However, in an attempt to improve my Spanish language skills, I am taking some sound advice from my Aunt, and watching novelas. Yes, it is totally random.

Jeff and I have discussed how important it is to us to raise our daughter to be bilingual. Although, Spanish is not my native language, I grew up in a Spanish speaking household, therefore, consider myself bilingual. I know this will be a very difficult task since Jeff does not speak Spanish, but I'm hoping to raise our little one with Jeff speaking English to her and me speaking Spanish to her. I know it can be done.

I also picked up a book the other day to aid me with the process. It isn't about teaching me a language, but how to create a bilingual environment for your child. It has given me a lot of confidence thus far.



So as I embark on this journey I hope to learn and not fall completely victim to the novelas. Luckily, unlike American soaps, there is an ending. I figure that I watch bad American television, so why not improve my skills by watching bad Spanish television in the process???

Buena Suerte (Good Luck)

No comments:

Post a Comment